ISO 17001 – Implementation Checklist
ISO 17100 : 2015
What can you expect from the certification process?
Translation Services Management System Checklist
This checklist will provide you with a detailed understanding of what you can expect to have in place, and be doing, by the time you complete the ISO 17100 certiﬁcation process. If you don’t have any of this in place already, don’t panic; QMS are happy to provide you with the necessary templates and guidance, during the QMS 3-stage certification process, until you do.
This means: having the right processes in place to ensure that your team is qualified and the evidence to prove this is kept on record.
- We maintain a list of all employees who perform the work of translators, revisers, reviewers, proof-readers and project managers.
- We’ve made sure that any sub-contractors we use to provide translation services also follow the requirements of ISO 17100.
- We maintain training records, that include the type of training and the dates of these qualifications, to show the competences of our staff in all areas.
- Our team is trained, competent and trustworthy to perform the work required of them, in translation, revision, review, proofreading or project management.
- We’ve made sure that our translators and revisers are trained, competent and qualified in both the source and target languages, and the cultures and values related to these languages.
- Our translators have experience in using research tools to understand the source language and produce content in the target language.
- Our translators, revisers and reviewers have specialist and proven technical knowledge in the domain that the project concerns.
- The project managers in our team have the necessary training and skills to deliver translation services to clients and to meet agreed project specifications.
- Available for our staff to use are appropriate translation tools, translation management systems, terminology management systems and any other related systems.
- We have the infrastructure in place to handle and store documents securely.
- We have the appropriate communication equipment to facilitate translation.
- Our staff have access to information resources and media appropriate to allow them to research their projects.
Pre-production Processes and Activities
This means: ensuring you have the correct procedures in place for analysing and dealing with client enquiries.
- We have processes for ascertaining client requirements and ensuring that the Organisation has the necessary human, technical and technological resources to meet them.
- We have the capability of supplying prospective clients with quotations covering all essential details, such as language pairs, delivery dates, formats and mediums.
- We have set out a written agreement with the client showing the details of the translation service to be provided.
- When an agreement is being made with a client, we attempt to find any additional information that may be helpful in the performance of the work.
- We have a process in place to consult the client for clarification should the received source language content not conform to the client agreement and project specification.
- We keep a Project Register so we can identify the project, estimate the length of the project, show the status of the project and identify resources assigned to the project.
- We ensure that the necessary technical resources are in place to be used by all relevant parties, including sub-contractors and any other parties that we work with.
- Before a project has commenced we ensure that all necessary resources such as style guides, translation memories and terminology reference materials are in place.
This means: ensuring compliance with the client agreement from the beginning to the end of the project.
- All our projects are coordinated by a project manager who takes responsibility for all aspects of the project.
- We have all the necessary elements of project management, including the following in place:
- Identifying key requirements
- Supervision and monitoring of the translation process
- Assigning competent translators and revisers
- If necessary, assigning competent reviewerse
- Issuing information and instructions
- Managing the translation project
- Monitoring to ensure work is completed within timescales
- If necessary, monitor the budget to ensure it is not exceeded
- Communicating changes
- Dealing with corrections
- Answering queries
- Dealing with feedback
- Verifying specifications have been met before approving the project
- Delivering the project to the client
- If necessary, prepare and issue invoices
- We ensure that the translator provides a service in accordance with this International Standard to the following;
- Compliance and consistency with any specified terminology
- Accuracy of and consistency with the target language interms of appropriate syntax, spelling, punctuation etc.
- Compliance with any style guides and applicable standards
- Consideration of target audience and purpose of thecontent
- Our translators check their work for possible errors and correct them as they go.
- We ensure that the target language content is revised by someone who is not the translator for the project.
- Our revisers check the work against the original and correct or retranslate any errors as agreed by the project manager.
This means: carrying out any necessary actions at the end of the project.
- We have a process in place to handle client feedback to assess client satisfaction and to take any necessary action.
- We have a process in place for archiving project materials that meets the requirements for the preservation or deletion of records and that ensures data protection.
This means: ensuring all individual processes still meet the requirements of the Standard.
- We perform regular internal audits to review our processes and ensure that they are still meeting the requirements of the Standard.
This means: ensuring the Management System as a whole still meets the requirements of the Standard.
- We perform regular Management Reviews, with a defined frequency, to make sure the Management System is still meeting the requirements of the Standard.
- We have agendas for our Management Reviews and take minutes to record what was talked about.
- If the specification includes a review, we ensure that this is carried out and any errors corrected.
- If the specification includes proofreading, we ensure that this is performed and any errors corrected.
- We have a process in place for final verification of the project before delivery to the client.
Implementation and Certification in 30 days
Through QMS’ award-winning certification process, you could achieve an ISO 17100 certification in as little as 30 days. The process is straight-forward and cost-effective and includes access to LAUNCHPAD, our on-line Management System Portal hosting a library of useful templates and tutorial videos.