In 2016 I was reading the latest book in the Horus Heresy series, struggling to work out where each group was in the galaxy. From this I had an idea to create a map that would show the passage of time and the movements of these groups.
I envisioned a timeline at the bottom of my computer screen that as you scrolled along it, events popped up with arrows that indicated movement of particular characters or groups across the galaxy to new events. Each planet, character or group was represented by a dot and hovering over these dots would give information on that location or person at that particular moment in time.
Since then the map has evolved and four years later, although it has deviated from my original idea, it is nearing completion.
How it was made
The blog posts below describe the progress of the project.
- Small Map UpdateI’ve just published two small changes to my interactive map project. The changes came from an email I received from […] Read the full article Small Map Update
- Warhammer 40K Map UpdateA large amount of time has passed since my last update, but I have an update to my interactive Warhammer […] Read the full article Warhammer 40K Map Update
- Warhammer 40K Map ProgressAfter a long period with little change, over this past week I’ve made much more progress on the design and […] Read the full article Warhammer 40K Map Progress
- Tiny map updateIt’s been a while since I posted any progress with my interactive map. I’ve been adjusting it every now and […] Read the full article Tiny map update
- Warhammer 40,000 Map using LeafletFor the past two weeks or so I’ve been working on a new version of my interactive Warhammer 40,000 map. […] Read the full article Warhammer 40,000 Map using Leaflet
- Interactive Map Project – A Working Stage 1 PrototypeWell, I have no idea what I was doing half of the time, but I have a working prototype of […] Read the full article Interactive Map Project – A Working Stage 1 Prototype
- Interactive Map Project – Planet ListSo, from last week I’ve managed to do naff all coding other than minor tweaks to what I already have. […] Read the full article Interactive Map Project – Planet List
- Interactive Map Project – ExperimentsSo I started Googling for interactive maps and how to code them today. I think within about 4 links I’d […] Read the full article Interactive Map Project – Experiments
- Interactive Map Project – IdeaIn one of my frequent failing to sleep moments the other night, I revisited an idea I’d had a while […] Read the full article Interactive Map Project – Idea